Publication

The journal was first issued in 2007 by the Department of Taiwanese Literature. Subsequent volume was not issued after its first publication until 2012. The main objectives of the journal are to improve Taiwanese literary studies, to broaden the perspective on literary studies and also to encourage the interaction between foreign and domestic research. 

The Department of Taiwanese Literature was founded in 2000 to promote the study of Taiwanese literature, which includes aboriginal and Han folktales, literary works in classical Han during the Ming and Ching Dynasties, literary works during Japanese Occupation era and contemporary literature since 1945. This Department is Taiwan’s first academic institute that offers B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. programs in Taiwanese literature. It is located near the National Museum of Modern Taiwanese Literature in Tainan City. We provide students with solid foundation on both literary theory and practice. In addition to teaching, collecting and editing literary works from Taiwan’s different historical periods is one of the major jobs of the department. In February 2002, when Chair Chen’s tenure ended, Prof. Lui Hsing-chang took over the position and served as the second Chair. In September 2004, chair Lui retired and Prof. You Sheng-Guan took over the Chair position still January 2008. Prof. shih Yi Lin was the fourth Chair and Prof. Wu, Mi-Cha took over the position in February 2009. At present, Prof. Chung-Hsiung Lai, the president of College of Liberal Arts, is the agent Chair of DTWL. The department is now composed of 193 undergraduates, 62 MA students, and 34PhD students and the MA program has stepped into its 10th session. To this point, a comprehensive composition of DTWL has been well settled.

For more information, please visit here.